School of Peacebuidling, Mediation, Conflict Resolution, Intercultural Dialogue, Security & Human Rights
II Winter Academy: 17-26 February, 2017 (10 Days)
3 Month CAS - Research Program: 17 February - 16 May, 2017 (90 Days)
Institute for Peace & Dialogue, IPD is one of the leading organiser of several successful annual international academic trainings and research programs in Switzerland in the field of peacebuilding, conflict transformation, mediation, security, intercultural dialogue and human rights which these events bring together state, private and public sector representatives.
IPD is very glad to announce its next International Winter Programs which is going to be held in Switzerland. Applicants could choose either 10 days Winter Academy or 3 Month CAS-Research program in the filled application.
Its image as one of the most favourable places for traveling has made it more interesting to offer an exited and comprehensive program for our participants. Our experts, who are professionals in their fields, will contribute to this event, with many years of experience in peace and conflict studies.
Nowadays unfortunately several frozen or ongoing conflicts between or within states still exist. Conflicts are different and if we look to the world mankind, how they are facing many new challenges, coupled with new dangerous situations, i.e. terrorist acts, non-legal arming of conflict sides, re-determination of borders, establishing new countries in the world map, non-providing territorial integrity, trafficking of arms, drugs and human; disputes on the implementation of transnational energy projects, democratization and false elections, revolution and internal political conflicts, armed guerrilla movements, violation and discrimination by nationalists, world economic crisis, climate change and unsafely biodiversity etc. Unfortunately the list is long. Conflicts are related and an integral part of human beings, as conflicts cause violation of human rights.
Existing conflicts weaken every kind of cooperation between nations and states. Without mutual cooperation and understanding, the future prosperity of the region would remain only as a good dream. Taking into consideration of peaceful behaviour and engagements, we can make a decision on the strict belief, that opportunities for solving conflicts are feasible.
Because in every conflict situation and tension forms we consequently face the below mentioned common situations:
- Desperate situation and non-solving problems are not eternal.
- It is possible to make common decision and find common values, even the both conflict sides are thinking differently.
- If the hostility thinking becomes stronger, there are no winner and right side.
- Protracted conflicts on the same time endanger to the development and prosperity of conflict parties.
- Any peaceful mediation and negotiation actions are useful than nothing.
In our previous 3 Month CAS-Research Program we visited below Swiss Institutions with our Researchers
1. CSS, Center for Security Studies - ETH Zurich in Zurich, Switzerland
2. Swiss Chambers' Arbitration Institution in Basel, Switzerland
3. UNHCR, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Geneva, Switzerland
4. ICRC, International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva, Switzerland
5. IFRC, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent in Geneva, Switzerland
6. Geneva Center for Security Policy in Geneva, Switzerland
7. IPU, Inter-Parliamentary Union in Geneva, Switzerland
8. World Trade Institute in Bern, Switzerland
9. UN Global Compact, Global Compact Network Switzerland
10. Basel Peace Office
11. Meeting with Lecturer and Mediator at Hochschule Luzern
3 Month CAS-Research Program Important Dates & Activities
- Arriving day: 17 February, 2017
- Education Part: Participating in 10 days Winter Academy: 17 - 26 February, 2017
- Practice Part: Visit to 2 - 4 Swiss Institutions: 01 March - 05 May, 2017
- Research Part: Writing research paper (Min 5 pages) in one of the IPD training topics under Academic Supervisor guidance: 06 February - 16 May, 2017
- Departure day: 16 May, 2017
Main Goals of the Winter Programs
- The main goal of the 10 days Winter Academy is to strengthen the skills of the representatives from state institutions, business sector, INGOs/NGOs, education institutions, religious organisations, independent mediators and politicians through academic trainings in peacebuilding, mediation, conflict resolution, security and intercultural dialogue fields.
- The main goal of the 3 Month CAS-Research Program is to develop the skills of the researchers via academic trainings, reading materials, Supervisor guidance and closely acquaintance them with relevant Swiss state, public and private Institutions.
Timetable of 10 Days Winter Academy
- Arriving & Registration of Participants (Hotel registration starts after 14:00am): 17 February, 2017
- Opening Ceremony & Welcome Grill Party: 17 February, 2017 at 19:00pm - 21:30pm
- Breakfast Time: 07:00am - 09:00am
- Morning Workshops Period: 09:00am - 12:30am
- First Break Time: 10:30am - 11:00am
- Lunch Time: 12:30am - 14:00pm
- Afternoon Workshops Period: 14:00pm - 16:45pm
- Second Break Time: 15:30pm - 15:45pm
- Dinner Time: 18:30pm - 20:00pm
- Certification of WA Participants & Farewell Grill Party: 26 February, 2017 at 12-30am - 14.00pm
- Departure of WA Participants (Hotel departure till the 12:00am): 26 February, 2017
- Half day classes: 21 and 26 February, 2017 till the 12.30am
Intercultural Exchange: Participants from different world countries with various race and religions will bring national clothes, drinks, foods, sweets, souvenirs, flags and etc. things to introduce national and cultural values with each other and share local habits and traditions during the Winter Academy.
Winter Academy & 3 Month CAS-Research Program Language: English
A broad range of the interested participants (Age: 18+) from all over the world countries such as mentioned in below can apply to the International Winter Academy or 3 Month CAS-Research Program:
- Representatives of Government Institutions, Diplomatic Missions and Courts
- Representatives of Business Institutions and Private Sector
- Representatives of Religious Organizations and Political Parties
- Representatives of IOs, INGOs and Local NGOs
- Representatives of Universities and Academic Staff
- Representatives of Media Institution
- Mediators and Peacebuilders
- Researchers and Students
A) Winter Academy Participation Fee:
- Double Room (Room for 2 participants) for 10 Days Winter Academy: 1850EUR
- Single Room (Room for 1 participant1) for 10 Days Winter Academy: 2100EUR
- Participation fee without accommodation and dinner: 1000EUR
What is included in the participation fee during the 10 Days Winter Academy period?
- 3 times Meals per day
- 2 times Coffee-Break per day
- Course & Stationary Materials (File, notebook and pen)
- WiFi Free Internet Connection
- Welcome & Farewell Parties
- Program fee
B) 3 Month CAS-Research Program participation fee:
- Double Room (Room for 2 participants) for 90 Days Program: 6800EUR
- Single Room (Room for 1 participant) for 90 Days Program: 7100EUR
What is Included in the participation fee during the 3 Month CAS-Research Program Period?
- Accommodation expenses during the 17 February - 16 May, 2017 period
- All the participation expenses of 10 Days Winter Academy Program (Accommodation, meals, coffee-break and course fee)
- Travel expenses to visit various 2-3 Swiss Institutions
- Academic Supervisor fee to guide the research paper
- WiFi Free Internet Connection
- Program fee
What is not included in the participation fee?
Extra accommodation nights and meal expenses, international travel and travel related expenses (visa & insurance fee expenses) are not included in the participation fee. Participation fee is not cover the extra persons’ (family members, relatives, friends, colleagues etc.) accommodation and meal expenses.
Participants of the 3 Month CAS-Research Program are responsible the feeding and local travel expenses after the 10 Days Winter Academy.
IPD offer several type of scholarship support to reduce the participation fee amount for most needed potential participants from all over the world counties.
If you wish to get discounted participation fee amount, please write your request briefly via email before or during the application submission period.
Unfortunately IPD scholarship sources do not cover all the participation fee amount and international travel expenses and we only could offer you discounted fee amount.
Cancellation Rules & Dates of Participation
Please note that after submission of the application in any case of the participation cancellation till the 25 December, 2016 the charge will be 600€ (Plus bank transfer and exchange rates costs will be extra charge) will be deducted from the participation fee for the administrative charges.
Participation cancellation between 25 December, 2016 till the 15 February, 2017 the charge will be 1000€ (Plus bank transfer and exchange rates costs will be extra charge) for 10 Days Winter Academy or 2500€ for 3 Month CAS-Research Program (Plus bank transfer and exchange rates costs will be extra charge) from the paid participation fee.
Participation cancellation after 15 February, 2017 there will be no refund on paid participation fee.
Participation Procedure Step by Step
1. Submitting filled application in WORD format, CV + scanned passport page till the deadline
2. Participant will receive Invoice to start the payment of the requested participation fee amount
3. After receiving the participation fee, participant will receive the unconditional letter via email and if there is required visa application process IPD will send invitation letter by post and also to the relevant embassy by email or fax.
Interested participants have to be sent the filled application in WORD format include CV, scanned Passport Page (Only photo page) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 10 February, 2017 and please name your documents as “NAME” “SURNAME” “COUNTRY” “DOCUMENT NAME”
We strongly advice to the participants to submit the filled application as soon as it`s possible, if they request visa to enter Switzerland and who needs more financial documentation period in the work place for his/her participation.
Bank Account Information to Transfer the Participation Fee
Payment to CHF Account:
Bank Name: PostFinance AG
Bank Address: Mingerstrasse 20
3030 Bern, Switzerland
Account number: 25-100224-4
IBAN: CH62 0900 0000 2510 0224 4
SWIFT code: POFICHBEXXX
Payment to EUR Account:
Bank Name: PostFinance AG
Bank Address: Mingerstrasse 20
3030 Bern, Switzerland
Account number: 91-806816-2
IBAN: CH50 0900 0000 9180 6816 2
SWIFT code: POFICHBEXXX
Depending from the above mentioned participation fee payment, participants will stay in double or single rooms during the Winter Academy period in the 'Eckstein' Meeting and Education Centre. Centre located in Baar the region of Zug Kanton which is one of the beautiful place of Switzerland, which is close to the Zurich, Bern and Luzern Kantons.
Event place is very close to the Baar Main Train Station and if you arriving by plane to the Zurich Airport you can reach to the Baar Main Train Station by train directly from Zurich Main Train Station.
For more information on accommodation please visit the webpage of 'Eckstein' Meeting and Education Centre www.zentrum-eckstein.ch.
During the 26 February - 16 May, 2017 research period, we will place researcher either in Swiss host family, or in hostel or in separate room of one of the apartment.
IPD Previous Academic Programs
- 3 Month Summer 2016 CAS-Research Program in Switzerland: 09 August - 06 November, 2016
- VI International Summer Academy in Baar, Switzerland: 19-29 August, 2016
- V International Summer Academy in Baar, Switzerland: 09-19 August, 2016
- 3 Month Winter 2016 CAS - Research Program in Switzerland: 15 February - 14 May, 2016
- I International Winter Academy in Baar, Switzerland: 15-25 February, 2016
- 3 Month Summer 2015 CAS-Research Program in Switzerland: 07 August - 06 November, 2015
- IV International Summer Academy in Baar, Switzerland: 17-27 August, 2015
- III International Summer Academy in Baar, Switzerland: 07-17 August, 2015
- II International Summer Academy in Baar, Switzerland in 17-27 August, 2014
- I International Summer Academy in Vienna, Austria in 01-11 September 2013
IPD Previous Academic Programs`Lecturers
Prof. Doc. Johan Galtung Mr. Joe Gerada
Prof. Dietrich Fischer Mr. Jorgen Johansen
Prof. Patrice Brodeur Ms. Elena Pruvl
Dr. Karin Schreiner Mr. Aleksandar Weisner
Dr. Sara Clark Habibi Ms. Julianne Funk
Mr. Marko Vukovic Dr. Peter Adler
Mr. Marc Finaud Dr. Urs Bloesch
Mr. Kenneth Pickles Dr. Alicia Cabezudo
Dr. Carrie Pemberton Ms. Edit Kovari
Dr. Daniel Mekonnen Dr. Majken Jul Sørensen
Be Our Sponsor
We all know that organizing such kind of international academic programs is quite expensive and very hard to implement with limited financial sources. So to help us in this matter, we invite State Institutions, Foundations, Private Sector, Universities, Public Sector and Individual Philanthropists to be Sponsor of IPD activities..
Your Sponsorship will help institutional development of academic education, particularly will be helpful to support financially in form of scholarships to most of the motivated and needed participants (students, participants from the developing countries, participants of the local organisations and etc.), whose people would like to positively change the situation in their country, build more peaceful environment and pave the way for a better future in the society where they live.
We believe as part of the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Philanthropy policy of your Institution, you will be opportunity to be Sponsor of one of the IPD program.
Each of the sponsor`s name will be publish in the promotional materials of the event and we will place the banner of the sponsor in the entrance of the conference room. We could also put separate table for Sponsor to promote its products during the event.
Depends from the financial support amount, we could prepare special event bags, pens, cups, umbrella, package, folder, cap, T-shirt, USB sticks and etc. with logo and name of the Sponsor.
Sponsorship for IPD Winter Program 2017 Activities:
To be Diamond Sponsor: 30000EUR and above
To be Platinum Sponsor: 20000EUR and above
To be Gold Sponsor: 15000EUR and above
To be Silver Sponsor: 10000EUR and above
To be Bronze Sponsor: 5000EUR and above
To be Individual Sponsor: 500EUR and above
To be Sponsor of Winter Academy 2017 please visit IPD web page Sponsorship section to fill the application form to start your Donation step by step. http://www.ipdinstitute.ch/Sponsorship-Donation/
Contact person for any questions:
Mr. Fakhrinur Huseynli
Institute for Peace & Dialogue, IPD
Hegenheimerstrasse 175. 4055 Basel, Switzerland
We are looking forward to see you in our program!